-
May 21st, 2018, 05:30 PM
#1
Junior Hostboard Member
VOTT Polarity
Hello,
I've just pulled a pair of A5's out of storage and can't remember the set up routine. The speakers consist of 515B's and 288/16-g's and I'm using Marantz 3 electronic crossovers, which have 12db/octave Butterworth slopes. I've read that these crossovers work best if the phase of the HF drivers are reversed relative to the woofers. At the same time, I seem to recall that the mechanical polarity of Altec HF drivers is the reverse of the cone drivers. Both the 515's and the 288's have push terminals for the speaker cables that are marked red and black (not 1 and 2). If I want to reverse the polarity of the 288's relative to the 515's, should I reverse the cable hook up (positive to black) or wire it the same way (positive to red)?
I've measured the system using a cheap analyzer and I have a 5db dip just before the 500hz crossover point that doesn't seem to be effected much by changing polarity of the drivers. Could that dip be minimized by phase aligning the voice coils?
Thanks in advance,
John
Tags for this Thread
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks